July 17, 2010

Uninvited Guest

Sitting at my computer, enJOYing a cup of morning coffee, I hear an odd sounding shuffling across the room, so I figured my dog, Tidbit, was settling in for a mornin' nap, doing a bit of preening or something beforehand. The noise was surely odd, though not alarming, so I didn't bother to glance her way.

A few moments later, I hear my housemate, Scott, say from the other room, "Where the hell did that alligator come from?" I think, Yeah, right, now what's he tryin' to fool me into believing? I admit I'm quite gullible and fall for many things. But the more I thought about it his voice was loud and matter of fact so I decided to go into the livingroom to see what was up.

I was in shock to see a 3-foot alligator waddling across the room, right into Scott's bedroom! Thankfully Scott had grabbed Tidbit, who'd been napping at his feet, and had her choker pulled tight, so while I put her out in the back yard, Scott closed his bedroom door, trapping the critter.

I called Ohio Wildlife, who contacted a fellow who called me back to make arrangements to rid us of our unwanted guest. Yes, gator wrangler, Chris Law, of the Ohio Reptile Service, rescued us from the jaws of our uninvited guest.

We're in the habit of leaving the back door open on occasion, so the dog can get out into the yard, sort of a doggie door. No more! This gator had waltzed in the back door, through the kitchen and dining room, and right past me at the computer, on into the livingroom!

Chris found the gator curled up in a big box in Scott's closet, settled in quite comfortably. Chris bare-handedly grabbed it's jaws, taping them shut, and stood in the livingroom chatting with us like it was an everyday occurrence. Not!

Chris assured us this alligator would soon be on its way to a reptile sanctuary in Florida and would grow up to be a big gator one day. Chris also said this is the first in-the-house rescue he's ever been called to do.

We took a few photos, but unfortunately Scott's new camera did a horrible job (or the photographers did) ... Anyway, I think you can get an idea of the size of our uninvited guest as we head him out the door with a See ya later, alligator!






Submitted January 2011:

28 comments:

  1. OMG! I'd have fainted on the spot. If that doesn't start you writing, I don't know what will.

    Great write! Don't much care for the inspiration on this one. Kind of like you and my spider story. Shivering here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, all I could think of was to get Tidbit out of harm's way! Can you imagine; a flippin' alligator walkin' around the house like it owned the place! Oh my god indeedy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is both incredible, and incredibly scary. Nicely handled! (I'd have fled.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary indeed, Brian! I still get the creeps thinking about it and when I walk out the back door I can't help but look for gators. Definitely the strangest uninvited guest I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, you weren't kidding when you said alligator. Brings a whole new meaning to See you later alligator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, Lynn, I sure wasn't kidding! And yes, it does give new meaning to See ya later, alligator! I'm still amazed it happened, it's the strangest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scary in the moment but what a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, a bit on the frightening side; and, yes, it does make for a good story to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that we don't have gators running around over here! Glad it didn't get Tidbit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tracy! We're not s'posed to have them runnin' around here! It was, indeed, a neighbor's pet that got loose, the neighbor I figured it was. We've had a bit of a confrontation over it, as they seem to be quite upset that I called the authorities to come get it. My response to that was, why didn't you come tell me you had an alligator that was loose? Warn me? Whatever! I've had animal issues with this neighbor in the past, grrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Grief!!!!! I had a 4 ft centipede and a large tarantula in my house when I lived in Puerto Rico for a year...but this is crazy! Time for a doggie door.. or maybe not. Glad everything turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The world can always use a bit o' sunshine. Thanks for doing your part.

    John Betcher
    Self-Publishing Centra;

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy to assist in the sunshine department, John, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crap! Where did that come from????

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ann! Holy Crap was my thought, too! The gator was a neighbor's pet that got loose! They're nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, didn't think alligators are native to Ohio! What a freaky incident and I'm sure you're definitely not thrilled by your neighbor's pet paying you a visit. But those kind of things make the best posts! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha, Helena, it did make for a great story to tell! Glad you enJOYed it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruthi - didn't I see this on the news? Wow - it's someone I actually "know" via AC.

    I could not imagine - I know the feeling of hearing something and ignoring it because the noise is normal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Debbie! Can you imgine if I'd reached down to pet the "dog"? YIPEs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness! What an unexpected guest, indeed!

    Also, thank you for grabbing my button. I'll grab yours, too!

    -Tory from Within the Leaves

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my word! yikes!! I grabbed your button for my Nest Notes page. And you are a doll for writing up about my give-away. That was so sweet. ~~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Linked here from David's blog. When I first started reading I thought you must live in Florida. I've lived there, and gator sightings in yards is very common (although even there not too often in houses!). When I saw it was Ohio, I figured someone there must have had a baby then set it loose when it got older. I think it is illegal in some states to have a gator for a pet without a permit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Ruthi, saw your link and followed you from Sidetick

    Great story!! LOL As I was reading along I was thinking oh shes from Florida probably, and it probably occurs more times then not....And then you dropped the hammer. Ohio!!

    They just found 2 swimming in Chicago a couple weeks ago

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fortunately, this past month the state of Ohio has now passed a law against selling and/or owning "dangerous wildlife" within the state.

    ReplyDelete
  25. No WAY! That is insane!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!